Ensuring all residents have a safe and stable place to call home
The Bay Area is facing a serious housing shortage and gentrification exacerbates existing inequalities. Residential instability is related to lower academic achievement, poor health outcomes and chronic stress. We support policies that prioritize development without displacement by addressing local housing shortages and ensuring housing stability for both renters and homeowners. We support “Housing First” policies that strive to end homelessness by providing access to housing and needed social supports.
Our priorities include:
- Preserve and expand affordable housing
- Reducing homelessness
- Promote responsible community development
- Strengthen tenant protections
- Support pathways to homeownership
- Support innovative living arrangements
To learn more about our housing focus read out Housing Policy Brief. Click HERE to download the paper.
- Supporting efforts to expand and promote proven programs and explore promising new models to reduce and prevent homelessness. Ensuring Opportunity is a member of the County’s Council on Homelessness’ Policy and Advocacy Committee.
- Exploring and promoting small-scale housing solutions, such as shared housing and accessory dwelling units (“granny flats”).
- Promoting policies that protect low-income families from unfair evictions. We are a member of the Raise the Roof, a coalition of residents, community, labor, and faith organizations working to ensure that everyone has a home and sense of belonging in Contra Costa County. The Coalition is working deeply in Concord to advocate for issues that affect immigrant and low-income residents.
- Increase the supply of permanently affordable housing units by working with city and community leaders to explore new policies and revenue streams.